Looking For The Best Treatment For Acne
Acne, a disease that affects the microscopic sebaceous glands in the skin, is triggered by the production of hormones called androgens. Acne more commonly affects teenagers but can also affect adults and is then referred to as adult acne. While acne is not a life threatening condition, it can cause significant scarring or result in infection if not properly treated.
Here we will touch all several aspects of the options available for the best acne treatment, giving you the ability to take action now in order to preserve your skin and prevent permanent damage.
If you’re someone that’s been affected by acne then you know how desperate and hopeless this disease can initially seem and are willing to try anything in hopes of diminishing the appearance or damage inflicted by acne.
The best at home treatments for Acne
For those individuals that want to take a more natural approach when treating this condition due to skin sensitivity, here are a few remedies you can try at home:
- A honey mask is one of the most common natural ways to treat acne. Honey has antibacterial properties, the enzymes found in honey are able to breakdown fatty deposits found in the skin, acting as a natural exfoliate while also helping to reduce swelling and redness commonly seen in those suffering from acne. This treatment is typically done twice a day by applying a thin coating of honey to the areas affected by acne, letting the honey dry and carefully removing the substance in order to minimize irritation to the affected areas.
- Another popular natural way to treat acne is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil acts as a natural antiseptic and can be used to cleanse the skin and reduce the acne causing bacteria. When using this product it is recommended that you dilute the tea tree oil with water by half as tea tree oil can cause irritation if used alone.
- Zinc can also be used as an acne treatment and can be taken orally or applied topically to the affected areas. Zinc acts as a drying agent and astringent and is used as a way to seal and protect the skin. Minimizing your fatty foods intake, drinking plenty of water, keeping your hair off your face and reducing your dairy intake are also beneficial and natural ways to help prevent breakouts.
The best over the counter treatment for Acne
Acne can be tough to beat and sometimes while the natural approach is indeed the healthier route to take for your skin, it will really depend on the individual and how their body reacts to that type of treatment. If you’ve tried the home remedy approach and have had no luck with improving or minimizing the appearance of your acne, there are some more effective over the counter acne treatments available that may give you faster results.
- Benzoyl Peroxide is an affective active ingredient found in several over the counter acne products. This organic compound works as a peeling agent, cleaning out pores and reducing the amount of bacteria in the skin. This type of acne treatment comes in a gel or cream form and is applied topically to the areas of the skin affected by acne. The widely used product Proactiv has this main active ingredient and is said to be 80% effective in greatly reducing the appearance of acne.
- Salicylic Acid is used as a peeling agent and needs to be used in moderation as it is known to dry out and irritate the skin. This type of over the counter treatment is recommended for those with acne that have severely oily skin. The popular brand Oxy uses Salicylic Acid as its main ingredient and has approximately a 50%-60% success rate in diminishing the appearance of acne as well as effectively reducing the lifespan of blemishes.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids act as a peeling and exfoliate and is recommended for individuals that have dry and tough skin. Alpha Hydroxy Acid is also known to cause excessive dryness, redness and irritation if not used in moderation. This medication can be purchased either over the counter or by prescription only, depending on the strength of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid.
Where to find the best Acne products
Some of the best acne products are reserved for those medications that can only be obtained by a prescription from your dermatologist, such as:
- Topical Antibiotics are used to kill the bacteria on the skin while also helping to reduce inflammation and redness commonly associated with severe acne breakouts.
- Retinoid Creams are a chemical substance derived from vitamin A that’s used to unclog pores and as a preventative measure against future breakouts.
These medications are prescribed for people suffering from moderate to severe acne and who have had little to no success with over the counter treatments.
When proper hygiene and at home treatments fail to improve the appearance of your acne, it may be time to seek the professional help of a licensed dermatologist in order to prevent infections that can occur or excessive scarring. Scarring and infection can be common when the condition of acne escalates to large cysts or nodules. A dermatologist is able to lance a blemish without actually causing your skin to scar or to become irritated, causing increased swelling or possible infection.
A dermatologist may need to be seen monthly or on a weekly basis, depending on the severity of your acne. A dermatologist will speak to you about your diet asking for an estimate of your fat and dairy intake on a daily basis as well as how many ounces of water you drink. As part of your treatment you may also need to take a multivitamin supplement that will help to improve your overall skins appearance.
While dealing with acne can in itself be daunting on a day to day basis, you can find hope in the available medications found in-stores or online, that will not only help to diminish the appearance of acne but can also give you back the self-confidence you have been lacking since dealing with this disease.